Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What it Takes to See Success

I get a little emotional when I look at this picture of my son Chris, here with his #34 jersey, playing this past year in Poland.  I have it as my screen saver on my desk computer. It keeps me focused on my goals, and there's a reason why. Chris has always inspired me. Not just because I'm his mom, but because I have admired his commitment to succeed - no matter what obstacles and challenges have been heaped upon him.


From the moment that he decided that he wanted to be a professional basketball player, nothing has stopped him from achieving his goals. He is passionate about basketball. The reason I get emotional when I look at this picture is because I know what he has had to overcome to achieve his goals. Very few individuals - if any - would have ever kept on playing if they had encountered even half of his injuries and set-backs. At one point, even my mother (who loved watching him play at the University of Utah) said, "maybe he should just quit. He just keeps getting hurt!" But "quit" just wasn't in Chris' game plan for himself.  He was going to do whatever it took to succeed and work through the challenges.


In 1999, he had bulged discs in his lower back, where he was out for three months. In 2000, he suffered a broken left ankle, taking him out of the game for two months.  In 2002, he came down after a beautiful slam dunk on a live game airing on ABC against University of Texas, and tore his plantar fascia. This took him out for four solid months, followed by three ankle surgeries. These major injuries came right after he had spent nearly a year working day and night to get in optimum shape for basketball his senior year at the University of Utah! I was watching that game and saw the tears in his eyes. He called and said, "mom, why me?" I was saying the same thing.Then in 2011 in a final game in Poland, after three beautiful put-back slam dunks in the game where they were winning to get into the playoffs, he went down hard with a fractured tibia and femur knee injury, taking him out for two months and away from a lucrative contract in Puerto Rico this summer. But nothing has ever stopped Chris from continuing to do whatever it takes to succeed - to recover from huge injuries - or to ever quit and give up.  


Alexander Graham Bell said:
"What this power is I cannot say; all I know is that it exists and it becomes available only when a man is in that state of mind in which he knows exactly what he wants and is fully determined not to quit until he finds it." 


I share Chris' story for this reason - to inspire you to set your goals with this business, and never, ever quit. Don't let anything or anyone stop you from achieving your goals. Stay positive. Stay focused. Talk to lots of people. Sample two a day, everyday. Sponsor 1-2 people a week. Be consistent. Participate in the weekly Thursday night calls. Talk positive and never complain. Work the 4-Step System, use the recorded hotlines, our support site www.burgessbiz.com, and take notes and action with what you learn listening to our Saturday morning trainings. Listen to positive audio's, read motivating books, and surround yourself with positive, goal-oriented people. You deserve this opportunity. You deserve the best life has to offer you. Fall in love with this business.


We're a strong team. Besides being inspired by my son, Chris with his determination and positive action to move forward and achieve his goals, I have learned the importance of a team, and the role we each play with that team. As a team, we all want you, personally to succeed. When you succeed with this business, we all succeed - we all win! And that makes me proud, and like with Chris, a little emotional. 


Chris is recovering from this last injury, but, as always, he remains positive, focused, and will continue doing whatever it takes to see live his dreams and see success. And, if you want to see success with your Voyager business badly enough ... you will do exactly the same thing! Do what it takes to see success. Make things happen and have fun! 


(Follow Chris Burgess #34 www.chrisburgess34.com

No comments:

Post a Comment