Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Being a Team Player

Chris Burgess www.chrisburgess34.com 
Chris looking for the open man to pass to.
As an operatically trained soloist, cellist and pianist, I was never trained in the importance of being a team player. However, I learned quickly raising top high school, college and pro basketball players. Chris and David would always stress to me the importance of being a team player, knowing their role, not being a ball hog, passing the ball, etc. The music world just doesn't view the competition (other singers) quite so benevolently.


We are all blessed with gifts and talents to share with each other. We all bring something to the game, so to speak. And in magnifying others around us, giving support and complementing others skills and talents, we grow and mature as individuals. Think about the lyrics to the song "NO MAN IS AN ISLAND" ...

No man is an island,
No man stands alone,
Each man's joy is joy to me,
Each man's grief is my own.
We need one another,
So I will defend,
Each man as my brother,
Each man as my friend.

David helping the team.
Tonight Shelley Ball text'd me very, very sick. She had come home from school with strep throat and was unable to swallow or talk, and was in a great deal of pain. She and her team were to be the testimonials on tonite's Biz Briefing call. She kept apologizing via text, but I knew there was no way she could participate tonite. I made ten unsuccessful attempts to find testimonials to cover her spot at the last minute. I then l reached out to Billy Banks. He immediately text'd me back "got ya covered!" That's a team player. "Thank you Billy". This business is not about being an island and standing alone. It's about teaming-up and helping each other succeed. It starts with doing the 48-hour Checklist with your new recruit, 3-way calls and 2-on-1 appointments (field training). It's about doing meetings together, launching your new people, holding parties together, celebrating success together, and motivating each other. "I got ya covered" should always be at the core of why you are doing this business. As a team we are unstoppable. Standing along won't see the same success. As you are recruiting, get to know your team, know their dreams and needs. Then help them realize those dreams. The money will be great, but the better rewards come from helping them succeed and being a true team player.




No comments:

Post a Comment