Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Same Time, Same Place

Thanks to my mom for making me practice the piano every morning from 8 to 9 AM, I learned how to play the piano fairly well. I was forced initially into this consistent daily habit at age 7, when my grandfather started giving me weekly piano lessons. While the neighbor kids were out playing in their yards, I was practicing the piano. I could hear them running around outside, laughing and having what sounded like fun. But I was not allowed to move off of that piano bench until I'd gone through my entire piano practicing ritual. I started with my scales for finger dexterity and flexibility, followed by practicing my assigned songs. And every week I would get new songs, so it wasn't a matter of memorizing a single song and playing it over and over. Learning meant "sight-reading," and that took consistent daily practice. 

My doorbell would often ring, while I was practicing, with a friend asking if I could come out and join in the fun. But my mother would proudly announce, "Sandra's practicing her piano. Come for her later." (Yes...she called me Sandra, and still does so today.) Once school started, that practice time never wavered or took a break, it just got booted up to 6:30 - 7:30 AM so I would have enough time to "walk" to school. (That's a whole other post where my children picture me trudging through heavy snow uphill :-) However, being born and raised in Utah, that isn't far from the truth!)  This same consistency was hammered into me when I started taking cello lessons from my father. Once I added cello practicing, I would practice a full hour on piano, followed by a full hour on the cello. Talk about "missing out" on the door bell ringing and running, prank calling, and getting into all sorts of mischief!

I often felt "pushed" into this practice-makes-perfect ritual during my middle school years, but by High School, college and beyond, I am so thankful that my mother drove consistency home with me. Why, you ask?  Because I can now play piano, cello, organ, sing, an actually majored in both vocal performance and music education at the U of U! What a blessing music has been in my life. And I have been told a hundred times (or more), "I wish I could play the piano like you."  My answer: "You can if you consistently practice!"
 (Click on link to listen.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owReY1yNCV8
"A consistent man believes in destiny, a capricious man in chance." - Benjamin Disraeli

The same thing applies to seeing success at anything. Whether it's playing professional basketball for a living like two of my sons do, or developing a strong, lucrative network marketing business, you need to consistently do the biz basics: 3-way with your sponsor, hold in-home meetings, and 3-way prospects into weekly calls. If you choose to sometimes 3-way, occasionally hold in-home meetings, and if time permits "invite" someone to listen to a call, you won't see the success you dream about. "If you work this biz casually, you become a casualty" is simply the name of the game with network marketing.

Nancy Feinberg (GA) --- Elaine Tomrell (MI)
Two of my favorite people on the earth doubled their income this month. Why? Because they consistently 3-way call with their people, hold a weekly team "update" call, put people on the Monday MLM Mentoring training, and participate in the Tuesday Team Testimonial call. They are, and always have been, consistent. Now their group is exploding, and so can yours. Be consistent with "income generating activity" - daily - weekly - monthly - yearly until your goals are achieved with rank advancing and building leaders (Gold Ships). Consistency with "same time - same place" gives your team the business basics that they can count on. When their out talking to people, they will know that there is a Tuesday call, a Wednesday Webinar and a Thursday Team call. Reliability should be  at the core of your biz building strategies. Your "action assignment" for success!


"Reliability is a most wonderful virtue. We should cultivate it. We should be consistent about the things we do, so that others will know they can count on us. But more important, we want to be able to count on ourselves. The greatest pain is to have to disappoint one's self.
" —Sterling W. Sill

No comments:

Post a Comment